Press Statement: Palestinian Independent Commission for the Prosecution of Zionist Occupation Crimes against Palestinians
Statement issued from the Palestinian Independent Commission for the Prosecution of Zionist Occupation Crimes against Palestinians
July 13, 2014
The Israeli occupation forces have used internationally prohibited weapons against civilians in the current war on Gaza. The continuous targeting of civilians by the Israeli occupation forces is a systematic policy in the war against the Gaza Strip, which has been going on for seven consecutive days. This has led to an increase in the number of martyrs (167) and wounded (1123), many of who are women and children.
Given that the Gazan civilians continue to be aggressively targeted directly and systematically by the Israeli army, the Authority wishes to clarify the following facts:
1. It is apparent from the primary evidence available to the Authority, the Israeli occupation army used internationally prohibited weapons as well as conventional weapons disproportionately.
2. The weapons used by the occupying army caused significant and unusual damage to the bodies of victims. Norwegian expert, Mads Gilbert, currently in Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza, has examined many bodies of the martyrs and wounded. From his analysis, it is clear that there is much use of prohibited weapons by the Israeli army against civilians in the Gaza Strip.
3. Over recent months, the authority has received results of tissue samples of the martyrs and the explosive material from the two previous wars in 2008 and 2012 from labs outside the Gaza Strip. These results confirmed that the Israeli army had used internationally prohibited weapons against civilians. The authority will not hesitate to analyze samples and reveal the kinds of the weapons used in the current war, and the extent of the impact of these weapons on targeted civilians.
4. The use of internationally prohibited weapons by the Israeli occupation army in the two previous wars in 2008 and 2012, in addition to the current war, clearly demonstrates the existence of a systematic policy on the use of such weapons by the Israeli government and its occupying army.
5. The weapons currently in use, whether traditional or non-traditional, are being used directly against civilians and without any prior notice, leading to major massacres against civilians. For instance, recently, warplanes deliberately bombed the home of Al-Batsh family in the Al-Saha’f neighbourhood in Gaza even though the families were in their homes. This lead to the injury of 35 people and massacre of 18 people, which included women and children. The authority does not expect that the recent massacre perpetrated by the occupation forces will be the last.
6. The authority made these results clear and is ready to cooperate with all human rights organizations and the international court in order to bring these criminal occupiers to trial for their crimes against Palestinian civilians.